DHIS2 has released a digital data package to accelerate case detection, situation reporting, active surveillance and response for COVID-19. The package is inspired by the Ministry of Health Sri Lanka’s pioneering design of DHIS2 tracker for COVID-19 case detection and draws on years of collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO) to develop information system standards for case-based disease surveillance. The COVID-19 digital data package includes standard metadata aligned with the WHO’s technical guidance on COVID-19 surveillance and case definitions and implementation guidance to enable rapid deployment in countries.
DHIS2 is currently being used for COVID-19 Surveillance in countries around the world, and has been evaluated as a leading digital solution for COVID-19 response by Johns Hopkins University, the CDC, and Digital Square. Explore the map below to see where the DHIS2 COVID-19 Packages are being tested and deployed.
Is your country's DHIS2 COVID-19 implementation missing from our map? Share the details with us through our online form.
What can the DHIS2 COVID-19 Surveillance Digital Data Packages be used for?
- COVID-19 Case-based surveillance [tracker]: enrolls & tracks suspected cases; captures symptoms, demographics, risk factors & exposures; creates lab requests; links confirmed cases with contacts; and monitors patient outcomes. This package can be installed as a standalone COVID-19 package or can be integrated into a country’s existing integrated disease surveillance & response tracker.
- Contact registration & follow-up program [tracker]: strengthens active case detection through contact tracing activities, such as identification and follow-up of contacts of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 case.
- Ports of Entry screening & follow-up program [tracker]: enrolls travelers who have visited high-risk locations at Ports of Entry for 14-day monitoring and follow-up.
- COVID-19 Surveillance Event Program [event]: a simplified line-list that captures a subset of minimum critical data points to facilitate rapid analysis & response, particularly useful when caseloads or burden of reporting exceeds capacity for case-based surveillance tracker
- COVID-19 Aggregate Surveillance [aggregate]: an aggregate reporting dataset that captures minimum necessary data points for daily or weekly reporting
To download the packages, visit our WHO Package Downloads page. All digital data packages are optimized for Android data collection with the DHIS2 Capture App, which is free to download on the Google Play store.
Do you work in a country that is interested in installing the DHIS2 COVID-19 tracker? Please contact us at email@example.com.
- The DHIS2 Server Configuration Guide provides new automated tools for setting up a clean installation of DHIS2. This is our recommended approach when using the DHIS2 COVID-19 Tracker packages. Please read this guide before the package-specific documentation.
- The COVID-19 Training Material provides generic training and learning guides that can be customized to your DHIS2 implementation.
- The Tracker Implementation Guide provides general guidance on planning a DHIS2 Tracker instance.
- The Frequently Asked Questions document provides answers to common questions about the package.
- The Webinar is video demonstration of the package and explanation of its capabilities.
- The COVID-19 Discussion and Support Channel on the DHIS2 Community of Practice is a forum where you can ask questions, get support for your implementation, and review issues that have been raised and resolved by other community members.