DHIS2 has released a digital data package to accelerate case detection, situation reporting, active surveillance and response for COVID-19. The package is inspired by the Ministry of Health Sri Lanka’s pioneering design of DHIS2 tracker for COVID-19 case detection and draws on years of collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO) to develop information system standards for case-based disease surveillance. The COVID-19 digital data package includes standard metadata aligned with the WHO’s technical guidance on COVID-19 surveillance and case definitions and implementation guidance to enable rapid deployment in countries.
DHIS2 is currently being used for COVID-19 Surveillance in countries around the world. Explore the map below to see where the DHIS2 COVID-19 Packages are being tested and deployed.
What can the DHIS2 COVID-19 Surveillance Digital Data Packages be used for?
- COVID-19 Case-based surveillance [tracker]: enrolls & tracks suspected cases; captures symptoms, demographics, risk factors & exposures; creates lab requests; links confirmed cases with contacts; and monitors patient outcomes. This package can be installed as a standalone COVID-19 package or can be integrated into a country’s existing integrated disease surveillance & response tracker.
- Contact registration & follow-up program [tracker]: strengthens active case detection through contact tracing activities, such as identification and follow-up of contacts of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 case.
- Ports of Entry screening & follow-up program [tracker]: enrolls travelers who have visited high-risk locations at Ports of Entry for 14-day monitoring and follow-up.
- COVID-19 Surveillance Event Program [event]: a simplified line-list that captures a subset of minimum critical data points to facilitate rapid analysis & response, particularly useful when caseloads or burden of reporting exceeds capacity for case-based surveillance tracker
- COVID-19 Aggregate Surveillance [aggregate]: an aggregate reporting dataset that captures minimum necessary data points for daily or weekly reporting
All digital data packages are optimized for Android data collection with the DHIS2 Capture App, which is free to download on the Google Play store.
Do you work in a country that is interested in installing the DHIS2 COVID-19 tracker? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The DHIS2 Server Configuration Guide provides new automated tools for setting up a clean installation of DHIS2. This is our recommended approach when using the DHIS2 COVID-19 Tracker packages. Please read this guide before the package-specific documentation.
- The System Design Document provides details about the use case and configuration of the package.
- The Installation Guide provides guidance on preparing, importing and adapting the package.
- The Tracker Implementation Guide provides general guidance on planning a DHIS2 Tracker instance.
- The Frequently Asked Questions document provides answers to common questions about the package.
- The Webinar is video demonstration of the package and explanation of its capabilities.
- The COVID-19 Discussion and Support Channel on the DHIS2 Community of Practice is a forum where you can ask questions, get support for your implementation, and review issues that have been raised and resolved by other community members.
|DHIS2 Version||Package Version||Package Type||Documentation||Metadata||Last Updated|
COVID-19 Case-based Surveillance Tracker
COVID-19 Contact Registration and Follow-up Tracker
|Metadata file||27 March 2020|
|DHIS2.33||V 0.3.2||COVID-19 Surveillance Event Program||Metadata file||27 March 2020|
|V 0.3.2||COVID-19 Aggregate Surveillance||27 March 2020|
|DHIS2.33||V 0.3.1||Points of Entry Screening Tracker||Metadata file||27 March 2020|